Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Words to Hyperventilate By

When I'm really excited about something, I hyperventilate. It's a good thing actually, but annoying as I become over-oxygenated and partially black-out in front of the computer screen. Why do I hyperventilate? Because I'm a panic attack pro.

Anxiety - good and bad - has always been a monkey on my back. In college I could be counted on to stand up in the middle of a lecture, turn green, and walk out. Always a fun date, I would have to excuse myself in the middle of a movie to go chill in the bathroom (preferably the last stall). My friends didn't get it, thinking all I needed was a beer and a nap to regulate my system.

Fortunately, the panic attacks subsided as I plodded through adulthood, but it seems they are coming back. With the joy and excitement of finally allowing myself to write something other than ad copy, I've really embraced my huffing and puffing over query letters, manuscript submissions and synopsis hell. It looks like this time around, hyperventilating is my outlet for expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment